Wednesday, March 10, 2010

22 Day Old Vegan

Today started off like a normal day. I had my fruit smoothie and Larabar for breakfast (an old favorite). Then I went to babysit. The mom asked me to take her son to the zoo.

For the first half of our zoo time I kept thinking what could I order for lunch. The choices were hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos etc. at every snack bar. I finally opted for french fries and an orange. Not quite well balances but it was vegan.

After I ate, I began to think not only did the zoo have many vegan choices, but the zoo (in general) is probably not a vegan's favorite place. So many animals trapped in small spaces. I just want to set them free so they can run! The saddest thing I witness was at the Giraffe area...

There were three giraffes hanging out, walking around, eating the high leaves of the trees. We passed them and went over to see the Gorillas. Later on we came back towards the giraffes and a small group of people had gathered. One man was taking pictures. I looked over and just to the side of the giraffe enclosure was a group of men trying to get a smaller giraffe in what looked like a horse trailer. A man, who volunteered at the zoo, told us they were taking her to a zoo in Santa Barbara. They had been trying for an hour to get the giraffe into the trailer. They were pushing and shoving this giraffe into the trailer. The Volunteer told us that the giraffe's father was at this zoo. I looked over, and on the edge of the enclosure, watching the giraffe be pushed into the trailer, was a male giraffe. I pointed at the male giraffe and asked if that was her father, he said yes. It was as if the father was watching in anguish as they took his daughter away from him, possibly forever. And the daughter was trying to avoid the trailer at all costs. I just felt all this sorrow pouring out of the male giraffe's eyes, and fear emanating from the female. It was so sad.

When I got home I cooked up some corn and rice in a bit of EVOO and garlic. Later I went to a roller rink and I, again, had french fries.

French Fries = A Vegan's Best Friend.




Don't know if this picture will show up, but the main giraffe is the dad, and you can see the silver trailer to the left and behind it is the daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment